Are you a victim of greasy eyelids? Does your eyeshadow crease into a slump on your eye by noon? I hear you loud and clear, girls.Through extensive research (I tried out a ton of stuff) and trial and error (I walked around with greasy eyelids until I found something that worked), I found a handful of products and techniques that actually work.
Take a powder puff or a disposable cotton pad and dip it into a loose powder in your skin tone. Gently press and pat the product onto your eyelids (do NOT open your eyes while doing this, you don’t want the powder to get into your eyeballs).
Apply a small amount of one of the products below all over your lid with your middle or ring finger– the less pressure, the better. Make sure you get the brow bone, lid, inner corner, etc.
Lady C-Approved Eye Primers
Urban Decay Primer Potion in EDEN: Urban Decay’s primer comes in 3 varieties: Eden, Original and Sin. Don’t get the latter two- they both are super shimmery and because of their shine, they will immediately crease. Urban’s matte version is called EDEN. It’s a God-send.
MAC Paints: This is MAC’s “old school” eye primer that they have had for years. Paints often stand on the sidelines while people buy the newer formulated “Paint Pots,” but buyers beware: Paint Pots crease like a mofo. The Paints that come in the tubes couldn’t be any more different than the ones that come in the pot. A tiny bit goes a long way, and it dries down to a powder. I basically live off the Bare Canvas and Untitled shades. Like an old, familiar friend, MAC Paints won’t let you down.
Yahoo Shine recently posted an article exposing the truth about sunscreens. Many of the sunscreens on the market do not carry ingredients to protect agains both UVA and UVB rays. I’ve been aware of this for awhile, but since not everyone is a skin freak like me, I thought I’d reiterate what this article talked about and bring awareness to my readers (you!).
Here’s a quick lesson
The sun’s rays: UVA rays are the ones that cause premature aging and skin cancer. UVB rays cause sunburns.
SPFs higher than 50: are basically pointless. Also, SPFs really only protect you from UVB rays.
Sunscreen sprays: are harmful for the environment, don’t use them.
Stuff to avoid: anything containing Oxybenzone (associated with allergic reactions and is a hormone disruptor) and Retinyl Palmitate (a form of vitamin A). Pimple creams and zit zappers usually have Retinyl in them (to kill the bacteria causing the pimple) so if you do use one of those products, be sure to wear lots of sunscreen the next couple of days to protect your skin.
“I’m black, so I don’t need SPF”: whether you can pass for Casper the Friendly Ghost or are of African descent, EVERYONE needs SPF. I found out from my dermatoligist that dark skin has a natural SPF of 15. That’s nothing. All my dark-skinned girls out there, please slather on some SPF 30!
Here’s a list of safe, affordable sunscreens that the Environmental Working Group (EWG, a research and advocacy group) recommends:
•Alba Botanica Sun: Mineral Sunscreen Fragrance Free, SPF 30
•Alba Botanical Sun: Mineral Sunscreen Kids, SPF 30
•Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Saving Face Sunscreen, SPF 15
•All Terrain Aquasport Performance Sunscreen, SPF 30
•All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen, SPF 30
•BabyGanics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen for Face & Body, Fragrance Free, SPF 50+
•Carribean Solutions Natural/Biodegradable SolGuard, SPF 25
•Carribean Solutions Sol Kid Kare Natural Sunscreen, SPF 25
•Earth’s Best: Sunblock Mineral Based, SPF 30+
•Goddess Garden Kids Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
•Goddess Garden Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
•Jason Natural Cosmetics Sunbrellas: Mineral Natural Sunblock, SPF 30
•Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Daily Face & Body Lotion, SPF 40
•Mexitan Products Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 and SPF 30
•MelanSol Natural Sunscreen for Face and Body, SPF 25
•Nature’s Gate Mineral Sportblock, SPF 20
•Purple Prairie Botanicals SunStuff, SPF 30
•Solbar Zinc Protection Cream, SPF 38
•Sunbow Dora the Explorer Pink Sunscreen, SPF 30
•Tropical Sands All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 50 and SPF 30
•Vanicream Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin, SPF 30
•Vanicream Sunscreen Sport, SPF 35
Be safe, my fellow sun worshippers!
1. Mood: Hungry Hippo! Also, I had a lot of caffeine today, so I’m bouncing off the walls. In my heels.
2. What are you wearing? A grey Jessica Simpson dress (it has an attached skirt thing around the hips) with studs on the shoulders. Grey studded platform wedges. Air-dried hair I’ve done absolutely nothing with.
3. What’s one song you absolutely cannot stand? Anything by the Black Eye Peas. I used to be their biggest fan, until I started realizing that radio and television played all of their songs out. I’m ashamed to admit they really did turn into sellouts. I knew when CBS used “I Gotta Feeling” as their Fall TV campaign song, it was time to cut the cord.
4. Are you happy with your height? I’m 5’4″, but rarely show it, as I teeter around Los Angeles in platform heels 24 hours a day. My man is 6’3″ so I would like to be about 5’6.” This way, when I wear heels, we would look perfect. Right now, when we hold hands and walk down the street, it looks like a father leading their little girl to the playground. #bummer
5. Of all the places you’ve been, what are some of your favorites? New York City for the nostalgia and excitement. Mexico for the pristine waters and resorts. San Francisco for the culture. San Diego for the kick back vibe and perfect climate. Hawaii for the amazing smells and scenery. Great. Now I wanna go on vacation.
6. Something that comes easily to you? The Arts. Languages. Music. Creating. Baking. Performing. But ask me to figure out the tip on a restaurant bill and my eyes go crossed.
7. Big, gaudy cocktail rings — yea or nay? LOVE em! The only thing that sucks about them is they take up too much room in my jewelry box.
8. What are the keys to success? I’m not certain yet, as I am still on my own life’s journey. But I’m pretty sure that stubborness has something to do with it.
9. Describe what we’d find on your perfect barbeque lunch plate. I’m not a huge fan of meats on the bone. They gross me out, and since I like all meat well-done (burnt, I know), the meat at every BBQ I’ve been to has been way to pink/bleeding/still alive. I do love the sides though. Barbecued corn is the best, a yummy pasta salad comes in second.
10. Weekly goals: I have a ton of clients this upcoming Memorial Day weekend, so I’m super stoked. I guess I would just like to have a fun, successful weekend full of clients and friends/ family.
This Bubble Bar smells wonderfully clean and turns your water a pale blue. One bar is enough for 3 baths.
|Blue Skies & Fluffy White Clouds bubble bar|
This solid shampoo smells horrid. I would liken the smell to ear wax and vomit. No joke. I got it because it’s supposed to be good for dry, dandruffed scalps and even though it does a decent job, the stench is just too much to bear. Sad story.
|Soak and Float Solid Shampoo|
This lip scrub is the bomb dot com. Plus it tastes great. I use it nightly after I brush my teeth. Rinse off the product, then apply lip balm and I wake up with soft lips.
|Bubble Gum Lip Scrub|
This foot lotion smells like peppermint and really relieves tired, aching feet. My boyfriend was hesitant of the pink color, but he loves this stuff.
|Fair Trade Foot Lotion|
|Dirty Hair Styling Cream|
This Colour Supplement is Lush’s answer to tinted moisturizer. This particular color is too light for me, so I’m saving it for a pale customer/friend who would like to try it.
|Jackie Oates Colour Supplement|
This Cleanser is more of a scrub. GREAT for oily skin! I just dampen my skin with warm water, the take one or two of the crumbles you see in my hand there and mix it with water. It turns into a thick, scrubby paste that I rub all over my face and let sit for about 2 minutes. It does a great job exfoliating, and smells like licorice. Word of advice: if you have sensitive skin, stay away from this type of product.
|Dark Angels Cleanser|
This soap smells like apple and spearmint and leaves a cooling feeling on your skin. I love using this with a loofah in the shower after a sweaty gym session. Great way to wake up in the A.M., too!
|Demon in the Dark Soap|
I’m ashamed to say I haven’t tried this mask yet (Chantal gave me 2 fresh-made Lush masks that go bad if you don’t use them in a certain amount of time, so I’ve been busy using those first). Apparently you can use this on your whole body (backne, anyone?) and has loads of kale in it.
|Mask of Magnaminty Face|
This bath bomb smells like a citrus-y sherbet. Here, I’ve cut it in half so I can use it for two baths, instead of just one. It melts into a foamy, marshmallowy goo and turns your water a variety of colors. The center has gold shimmer, and it’s sooooo pretty in the water!
|Dragon’s Egg Bath Bomb|
This stuff is pretty rad. It’s a mask that you must keep in the refrigerator and will last you about 5-6 times. Due to the fact that it’s perishable, Lush does not sell these online. The presentation of these masks in the stores are so fun. Usually, they are in metal bowls in a bed of ice, surrounded by real berries, vegetables, nuts and whatever else they have used to make them. I like to think of Love Lettuce as a “beginner mask.” It’s great on all skin types, with it’s soft little beads to gently exfoliate. The clay in the mask dries down after about 10 minutes, removing all the impurities. Leaves no redness behind.
|Love Lettuce fresh mask (in store only)|
This new hand lotion has got to be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. In the shape of a hand, and smells like Marigold and Vanilla. You can already see in the photo that it melted a bit onto my hand. That’s basically how it works: you hold it for a few seconds, then rub whatever’s melted off all over your hands (and feet if you like). No plastic bottle to throw away when it’s done, either.
|Tiny Hands Hand Lotion|
|Sakura Bath Bomb|
OroGold Cosmetics is an up and coming Italian line of skin care that will soon be available in most major U.S. cities. I was fortunate enough to be given FREE full size samples to try. Oro means gold in Italian (and Spanish). This amazing skin care lists flakes of 24 Karat Gold in their ingredients! This stuff is decadent. I mean literally…it’s a sin to get to try this on your skin.
|Here are all my products, minus the body scrub (it’s in the shower)|
My favorite product out of all of them has to be the Eye Cream. Holy smokes does this stuff work miracles! I wrote about it on a previous blog. What makes this product fantastic are the ingredients: Caffeine, Vitamin K, Green Tea, and 24K gold (obviously.) I love using it in the morning or after plucking my eyebrows to sooth my delicate eye area. The Green Tea gives a great scent and calms the skin, while the Caffeine tightens and wakes the skin and the Vitamin K feeds and nourishes.
|24 K Gold Intensive Eye Treatment Cream- $298 retail price|
I use the Eye Serum after I get out of the shower at night (while the pores are still open) and have washed off my makeup. Just a tiny pump has dozens of little gold flakes that shimmer and shine, leaving your eye area refreshed and glowing.
|24K Gold Anti- Aging Eye Serum- $298 retail price|
The Body Butter is similar to the Body Shop’s version. It’s a thick, white cream (the gold looks like it’s been jet milled into the product). Not my favorite scent, but I’ll still use it.
|24K Body Butter- Devotion- $68|
The Day Moisturizer has loads of Vitamin E and C, plus a natural SPF of 10. Personally, I don’t think SPF 10 is enough to protect, so this product wasn’t totally ideal for my everyday routine. Everyone, including those with dark skin, need to wear a minimum SPF of 30. I do however, love the “pearl in the oyster” packaging.
|24K Gold Day Moisturizer- $138|
|24K Body Scrub- Devotion- $68|
1. Mood: I’m aight. It’s been a bit windy lately, and you know what that means: goosebumps all over and lipgloss in my hair. If it was just a teensy bit warmer, I’d be a happier girl.
2. What’s been the hardest thing about getting into makeup? 1) Money (or lack there-of) and 2) Research. It’s time consuming, but it really helps to read reviews, test out samples and make sure the product you are buying is worth it, and won’t just sit in your drawer for nine years before you finally decide to throw it out.
3. What’s your favorite limited edition makeup collection (if you have one)?
I am still mourning the loss of MAC’s Lure Collection from 2006. All the colors were so useful and beautiful! And the packaging was this gorgeous bright teal color (my fave) I still have all the products and use them sparingly.
|Makeup For Ever’s Summer Campaign Ad|
|Lips: To achive that super matte look, I lined and filled my lips in with MAC’s Magenta liner, then went over it with their cream lip liner in Cranapple, and dabbed Passionate (hot pink) eye shadow over the entire lip with my finger|
|Eyes: I used a thin line of Wet N Wild’s waterproof black liquid eyeliner, followed by a thicker sweep with MAC’s Liquid Last Eye Liner in Aqualine (it looks like liquid and stays ON like nobody’s business!)|
1. Mood: Well-rested and content. I got a good 6.5 hours last night (HUGE for Sunday nights, I’m usually up til 4am) and took two giant naps during the weekend. I nap hard, folks. And the pup doesn’t make it any easier to get up from them, since he’s usually cuddling the crap out of me.
2. One great thing about getting older? You get to stay up as late as you want on school/work nights. I still love the fact that no one makes me go to bed when I’m not ready LOL
3. What color do you use most in your eye makeup and why? Peach/corals. I have olive undertones that the peach really works beautifully with. Some of my faves from MAC are-
Coral Cream Colour Base
Soft Brown and Coral eye shadows
Pink Bronze Pigment
4. What’s one thing your mom was right about? She was right about a lot of my so-called friends growing up. I can’t tell you how many times I would introduce her to a new friend, or a boyfriend, and she would instantly know that they were bad for me. At the time, I thought she was being judgemental, but now I look back and realize she was right 99% of the time.
5. What’s your favorite book series? Growing up I was hooked on Sweet Valley Twins and Goosebumps. Now I adore the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris and Chelsea Handler’s bios crack me up. I have 2 autographed by her already, and I’ll be out to buy the third this week. I’ve read every book by Amy Tan, the entire Harry Potter series, and of course the Twilight series (who hasn’t?!) I finish books by the hours. Im a major bookworm. I just finished a book called “Inside Of A Dog” that explains what the world is like from a dog’s point of view, and how their brain works. If you’re a dog lover, this book is for you!
6. Your last sweet treat? A shorter answer would be for what wasn’t my last sweet treat. I gave up chocolate for Lent, and by the time Easter came around, I was salivating at the mouth. I have been knocking back every kind of chocolate every hour of the day like you wouldn’t imagine! I was good today though. I had greek yogurt with strawberries and honey for breakfast. YUM
7. Do you collect anything? I accidentally starting collecting nail polishes. I think I have over 100. It’s sickening. Here are two more I feel the need to buy from Deborah Lippman’s Summer Collection:
8. Seersucker clothing — yea or nay? Not a fan…it’s too casual/frumpy for my taste. :(
9. Your go-to eye cream? Ok, this stuff is ridiculously price ($298 per bottle!) but I was given a free one and I am in LOVE with 24K OroGold Intensive Eye Treatment Cream !With ingredients like 24 Karat gold flakes, Caffeine, Vitamin K and Green Tea, this stuff really delivers. I wake up every morning with puffy, “allergy eyes” and this stuff instantly lifts and deflates all the bags. I like to apply some after I pluck my eyebrows to reduce the swelling, and it feels like a cool, refreshing swimming pool on my eyes. *sigh* I will be so sad when I run out…
10. Weekly goals: Do one of the makeup looks on my list, do an oil change, save money and stay focused on the Self Magazine diet I’ve been doing (I’ve lost 4 lbs so far!)
1. Mood: Do you ever feel like your brain processed too much information in too short of time? I’m totally crashing.
I am notorious for staying up on Sunday nights. I am just not sleepy. So I lay awake in the dark, with my mind racing, thinking of all the things that need to be done and oh! That would be a cool video to do, and oh! That would be a great makeup look and oh! I have to buy groceries this week and oh! The list goes on… I had a very busy weekend with family in town and stressful moments so I’m really just exhausted.
2. Something you’re coveting at the moment? An airbrush machine and a Clarisonic. I’ve never been a big fan of doing airbrush makeup on brides because that stuff moves so easily. But I’d like to get back into it and have it as an option for my clients. I’ve narrowed down my options to the Temptu or Dinair. Any suggestions? I would like to be able to use products with different brands with the machine, so that will play a big factor in which one I will choose. The Clarisonic is pretty pricey, however they just came out with the Clarisonic Mia, which is a mini version of it for $149 and I’m in love with the lavender one. There is a cheaper option from Olay called the Pro X Cleansing System for just under $30 if anyone is interested! But I’m going to hold out for the Mia.
3. An overrated beauty product? Dior mascaras. Big price, mediocre effect. Don’t waste your money, ladies.
4. An underrated beauty product?
Head & Shoulders shampoos and conditioners. Seriously. They work miracles! People always ask me how I get my hair so shiny, when all I do is use good ol’ H&S. Their eucalyptus formula is addicting…it leaves your head feeling minty fresh.
5. Your best birthday party? My 10th birthday party, hands down. We still lived in West LA in a big beautiful home, and my parents got a moon bounce, magician and a kareoke machine. The entire fourth grade was in attendance, and people talked about it for months. It was the party of the year. Well, at least for us 10 year-olds it was lol. I don’t have a photo from the party on hand, but here’s a photo of me around 10 years old, so you get an idea. Yep, that’s little sis I’m reading to. Apparently she’s not paying attention!
7. Your favorite local eatery? Los Angeles has some amazing mom-and-pop, non-chain type of restaurants. Below I’ve listed my recent favorites with links.
Downtown: Yang Chow
West Side: Fritto Misto
8. Guys in jeans shorts — yea or nay? *Sigh. This is a toughy. Do I want my boyfriend wearing jean shorts? Not necessarily. But do his legs need to breath from time to time? Yes. Not the best option, but I guess I don’t mind them…
9. Favorite post-hangover meal? Back in my early twenties, nothing settled my stomach after a night of tequila shots like a 4am trip to IHOP (Rooty Tooty Fresh & Fruity!). Nowadays, a Dr. Pepper in the morning with 2 Advil does the trick. DP really is a God-send!
10. Weekly goals: Try not to be so A.D.D., take one day and one task at a time. I need Jesus! I’d also like to take some time out this week to either draw/paint or do a makeup tutorial. But we will see what this weekend brings…