I may –or may not– have an obsession with the color teal. The calming blue tones with the cheery green mixed in just lights me up. Makeup-wise, teals (or blue-greens) look beautiful on literally every skin tone. I have a whole palette of eyeshadows dedicated only to my first love, teal, and let’s not even talk about my teal nail polish collection. So last night, when I opened the ever-growing nail polish drawer to select a color to paint my nails, I just couldn’t decide which darn teal polish to choose. Then I remembered the popular trend we saw on the runways this summer and also for fall– hello, ombre!
I picked five shades of teal and came up with this look below.
Thumb: Get in Lime! by OPI
Pointy Finger: Mermaid’s Tears by OPI
Middle Finger: Ocean Love Potion by OPI for Sephora
Ring Finger: Turned Up Turquise by China Glaze
Pinky: Alpine Gree (Without the N) by L.A. Girl Matte Finish
The little green flower gem is from Sally’s Beauty Supply.
Here, I forgoed lip liner and used gold, dark brown and coral shadows to accentuate the look. I even skipped eyeliner. The gold shadow is a frost, but I kept the dark brown and coral matte. Add a touch of matte peach blush and voila! A sweet and simple look with a slice of orange to brighten up your day.
|Clearly, I was having too much fun.|
My good friend Jen and I attended MAC’s Pro event at their Hollywood and Highland location last night, where we got to see and play with their three fall launches.
POSH PARADISE– Click here to view
MATCHMASTER SPF 15 FOUNDATION– Click here to view
STYLE DRIVEN– Click here to view
Hi bloggers! Over the summer, I bought a ton of beauty supplies, etc and thought I’d share with you. A haul of sorts, but I’m calling it a “Shop and Tell.” Below are my reviews for each product, as well as a video. Enjoy!
1) Organize-Her by MEAD – Sold exclusively at Target I am obsessed with this entire line of notebooks. I have the grocery shopping notebook that comes with tear-out shopping lists and pockets for your grocery cards and coupon clippings. If you’re like me and have a million planners and schedules all filled with the exact same information, all because it makes you feel as if you have some kind of control in your life, than this is for you.
2) Nail Tool from Sally Beauty Supply I wasn’t really a huge “Sally” girl, but they have the best selection of nail polishes and nail tools. I got my little tool (one side is a dotter, the other is a thin art brush) for about $6.
3) L’oreal Lash Serum Since I filmed the video below, I have applied the Lash Serum nightly for about 2 weeks. Do I see a difference? No. #worthless.
4) Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara Not really a Revlon girl, but ever since the old Opulash formula from MAC made some of my lashes break and fall out, I was desperate to restore them to their original glory. For $7 this is literally a miracle worker. My lashes are flowing and extending. The gentle formula is great for sensitive eyes and feels nourishing, without being sticky or clumpy. I like the fat brush it comes with too. Fan for Life.
5) Crest 3D White Strips- 5 Minute I’m a coffee/soda/red wine drinker and so whitening my teeth every six months is a must. For those of you, who like me, have zero patience and time to wait for those half-hour formulas to work, this is a great alternative. It does the job. I mean, my teeth aren’t blindingly white, but I did notice it cleaned up some of the staining and gave my smile a brighter look. I apply the strips to my teeth at night before bed. Put on my PJ’s, do my nightly OCD routine of making sure everything is organized for the next day, then remove the films and brush my teeth to get rid of the extra gel. Five minutes. Done. I would totally do it again.
6) Halloween Lashes- Rite Aid Haven’t tried these yet, but I adored the teal colors feathers popping out at the ends!
7) L’oreal Ever Strong Conditioner– In love with the entire line. Its sulfate-free formula is gentle and your hair is shinier than Whitney Houston’s forehead when she performs onstage. Amaze-balls.
8) Aveeno Face SPF 30– I like trying out different SPF formulas each time I run out, and I always stick to SPF 30 or higher. So far, this formula is great. Not too greasy and stays put under my foundation. I do get a little shiny later on in the day, but let’s face it, it’s been like 100 degrees in Los Angeles. I’m lucky my makeup stayed on my face at all.
9) Fresh Sugar Honey SPF 15– At $22.50, it’s the most expensive lip balm on Earth and I would buy it again and again. I get compliments on the new Honey shade daily “Is that a lipstick or gloss? It’s so natural, what are you wearing?” I literally just wear this alone on a daily basis for work, and it’s SO soft, has SPF to protect your lips, tastes great and gives off a lovely flesh toned color. It’s butter for your lips, without the calories.
10) Clinique Acne Spot Healing Gel -At $14 a pop, this little miracle worker will last you at least a year, if not more. It contains salycic acid and softly murders your pimples without burning your skin.
11) Skintimate Cream Shave– Great substitute for shave mousse, which can dry out your skin and is costly. A little bit goes a long way, and you don’t even need lotion after.
12) Secret Natural Mineral– I sweat like the cops are after me, and this is the only deoderant to date that has held up to the job. I’m always on the look out for deoderants, and this one will do… for now.
13) Lime Crime Eye Shadow Helper– This is Lime Crime’s eye primer. It comes in a cute Tiffany blue container. Since the video, I have tried it and well..it’s a little oily. Not my fave, and no where near as good as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion in Eden.
16) Orbit Sweet Mint– Best flavor of gum out there. Enough said.
Watch the video to see the products and more thoughts!
1. Mood: It’s SO hot here in L.A. And before anyone waves the “I live in Vegas and it’s way hotter” flag, might I mention that in Vegas, it’s a dry heat. The humidity here, mixed with the pollution, makes it atrocious.100 degrees in Las Vegas feels like 85 degrees here. My makeup and hair are melting. My thighs are stuck to every chair and the leather seats in my car are burning my ass. The air is thick with smog and oven-like heat. My deoderant stops working sometime around 11:00am and my feet start sliding around in my sandals from sweating. By the time I come home, my forehead and nose are so shiny I could signal planes to land in our backyard. GROSS
2. Which lip colors do you wear least often and why? Let’s talk about dark brown lipsticks. I don’t even like them on darker-skinned girls. When doing my clients’ makeup, regardless of their skin tone, I’ll pick a berry/plum or burgandy shade over blah poo-poo brown. Seriously…SO pointless. It makes people’s teeth look yellow too.
|Let’s face it…it looks like someone smeared…..dirt… on her mouth.|
3. What’s one thing you do to simplify your morning routine? I skip the eyeshadow. Eyeshadows (the blending, the layering) takes the longest for me to do, so simply swiping on a waterproof liner, mascara and eye primer to smooth out my eyelid does the trick.
|No eyeshadow here|
4. When was the last time you groomed your brows? It feels like I groom them every other day. My eyebrows are a growing machine. They crank out long, black, coarse Armenian hairs that take up about half my lifetime to groom. Realistically, I would say that I “groom” them once a week, but pluck them every other day. I long for the days when I am old and gray! Maybe then these crazy brows will stop growing so fast! They’ll probably just be super thick and gray, inside of super thick and black. Great.
|My eyebrows have been every shape and size throughout the years.|
5. The last thing you treated yourself to? This amazing gelato shop near my home created a Nutella flavor of gelato. I’m there about twice a week scarfing it down. No shame. It’s worth it.
|Yes, those are Nutella streaks on the gelato. I live for this!|
6. Something that recently surprised you about yourself? Throughout the wedding planning process, I’ve realized that I’m a very controlling person. I’d much rather pile on too much than delegate what needs to be done. I just need to chillax a little.
7. S’mores? Yes please! I actually just made some the other day. I call them City Smores. I spear a marshmallow with a fork and burn it on my gas stove. Then I smash it down in between some graham crackers and Hershey’s chocolate blocks and enjoy. MMmmmmmmmmm. Again, no shame.
|How cool is this little smores maker?!|
8. What’s one good thing that happened to you this weekend? I got my wedding dress and booked a venue! We hosted a “Meet the Parents” night too and all went well. Here’s a pic of some of the Armenian engagement candy that is customary to bring to the bride’s house that my mom gave us:
10. Weekly goals: Book our church for the wedding, swing by a MAC store to pick up some supplies for my appointments this weekend, order my hair brooch and make it to the gym at least once!