I never got to go to Prom in high school, but I did go to my Homecoming dance senior year. I was in student council, had all honors classes and held down a part time job at BCBG MaxAzria, where I got my amazing vintage-style dress for the dance. I actually have this dress and still fit in to it –not sure how that happened! The photo doesn’t do this dress justice. It’s black with multi colored sparkles and a deep plunging neckline-haltertop with a beautiful black broach. I added a black boa and crimped blonde bangs for extra flair. Nothing says 2002 like a feather boa and a crimping iron!
Q: What makeup did you wear?My mom helped with me with my makeup, and I got to use all of her fancy stuff: Chanel liquid eyeliner, Chanel Lip and Eye Liners, Benefit Makeup Sealer “SheLaq”, Dior mascara. I wore some fierce metallic gold lip gloss but I don’t remember what it was. Something pricey, knowing my mom’s collection. I probably had the most expensive face at Homecoming that year.
Q: How did you choose your makeup for the big day? Did you think about the hair and the dress too?
I was always into makeup so I put a lot of thought into this look. I wanted a gold cat eye with gold cheeks and gold lips. Basically, I stole this look from the Oscar statue.
I got my hair styled that day.. I was going through my “experimental phase” when I dyed and bleached my hair all kinds of colors, and Homecoming happened to be during the “brassy blonde bangs” phase. I had short layered hair at the time, and it looked like a crimpy, little bob. I didn’t want the typical up-do that everyone else got. To be honest, it was pretty rad for the time. I just wish I left my poor, fried bangs alone.
Q: Did you have any school dance beauty mishaps?
I have to say I always ended up oily at the dances from sweating it out on the dance floor. I so wish I brought blot film and powder in my tiny clutch from Charlotte Russe. Oh and I’m pretty sure my foundation was too light for me freshman year all the way to graduation. My head looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost in all my photos from 1999-2002.
Q: If you could change your school dance beauty style, what would you have done differently?
Umm… I would have definitely added LASHES! Who the heck goes to a school dance and doesn’t wear falsies? Don’t do it girls…wear some lashes, they will make you look so much better in the photos.
Q: What’s your best tip for someone doing their own makeup for prom?
Wear foundation with a primer underneath. If you are wearing fake eye lashes, have a friend or a mom apply them on you. Don’t do it yourself, it’s too hard. Carry with you: powder, lip gloss, gum and blot film. Skip the “too big for my fingers” acrylic nails — no guy your age actually thinks that looks good. Wear lots of deodorant (haha) and have FUN!
1. Mood: Well, let’s see: I gave up chocolate for Lent, I’m PMSing, everything is stressful at work, the lease on my car is up and I have to pay California’s DMV a bajillion dollars for registration this month. I am thisclose to having a pity party. Nope, not winning. Plus, my cramps are killer: even my kidneys hurt.
2. Food you’re craving *right now*? Chocolate. Thanks again for reminding me that I can’t have it😦
3. Favorite eye cream and why? Fresh’s Lotus Eye Gel. It’s SO refreshing and smells delicately beautiful. Too bad it’s $48.00 *sigh
4. Ballet flats – yea or nay? NAYYYY to the max! I am so sick of seeing hipster girls walking on Sunset Blvd. wearing tattered, smelly looking ballet flats. Enough is enough, people. If you are going to wear flats, make sure they are clean or at least in good condition. Even Jesus had better ones back in the day. I’m the daughter of a shoe repair man. I know for a fact that ballet flats can look like new if you bother to fix them. Hit up http://www.shoelabworld.com/ to treat your dirty, disgusting flats! (I’m serious)
5. Which of your makeup brushes do you use least often? The fan-shaped one. It’s almost completely useless. I’ll remember to use it every once in a while on clients to dust off flecks of fallen eyeshadow, but that’s about it.
6. What’s favorite eyeliner and why? This is like asking me which child is my favorite. Each eye liner has it’s own strengths and things I love about them! LOL My faves are white or cream colored eye kohls (creamy pencils), black waterproof pencils, and gel cream eyeliners. From all brands, drugstore or high end.
7. Would you rather spend your Friday night alone or with others? Not necessarily alone, but I do like to have some down time on Friday nights. Whether it’s seeing a movie with my boyfriend, or cuddling with the pup and watching TV, I just try to keep it simple and laid back.
8. What colors would I see if I looked in your closet? Black, white, grey and LOTS of bright colors.
9. Can you ride a bike while wearing a dress? What…a stupid question.
10. Weekly goals: Try to keep sane and stay away from everything chocolate.
Pictured here are my “face” products from L-R:
Eye Primer– Urban Decay Primer Potion in EDEN
Eyeshadows– I don’t wear shadows every day, but when I do… I use MAC. Nobody makes eye shadows and pigments like MAC Cosmetics. Period.
Essie — $8.00 each. Essie is known for their pastels and “softer” colors. I basically lived in the brand’s greige color, “Chinchilly,” all winter long.
OPI — $8.00 each. In my opinion, OPI is the top dog in the nail world. I’ve been rocking their Katy Perry “Shatter” polish for the last month.
China Glaze — $5.00 each. I really love the brights and neons in this line. My personal go-to every summer is “Shocking Pink”
MAC Cosmetics — $14.00 each. These polishes have UV ray protection and staying power. Im always on the lookout for the limited colors! I’m currently wearing “N Colour” and “Rose Topping” from MAC:
Chanel — $25.00 each. “Pearl Drop” is a white frost with greenish-gold iridescence from the Spring 2011 line is to die for. These are at the top of the price range for nail polish, but I still think every girl should have at least one Chanel polish!
Deborah Lippmann — $16.00 each. “I Know What Boys Like (periwinkle) and “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” (coral) I am kind of obsessed with “Some Enchanted Evening,” a sparkling pink glitter particle polish, thanks to my friend Kristyn M. She sent me a pic of her nails week and my heart hasn’t stopped palpitating since!